- Balance Error Scoring System
- Cervical Screening Tests
- Dual Task Balance Testing
- King Devick Test (external website)
- Child SCAT5
- Vestibular Ocular Motor Screen (VOMS)
- Vestibular Screening Tests
Concussion is a rehabilitative injury and treatment should be offered to all patients, especially if symptoms do not begin to improve over the first weeks post-injury. Options include:
- Brilliant, A., Meehan, W., & Howell, D. (2017). Dual-task gait abnormalities after sport-related concussion and their association with prolonged symptom duration (P6. 146). Neurology, 88(16 Supplement), P6-146.
- Broshek, D. K., De Marco, A. P., & Freeman, J. R. (2015). A review of post-concussion syndrome and psychological factors associated with concussion. Brain injury, 29(2), 228-237.
- Cheever, K., Kawata, K., Tierney, R., & Galgon, A. (2016). Cervical injury assessments for concussion evaluation: A review. Journal of athletic training, 51(12), 1037-1044.
- Iverson, G. L. (2010). Mild traumatic brain injury meta-analyses can obscure individual differences. Brain Injury, 24(10), 1246-1255.
- Iverson, G. L., & Schatz, P. (2015). Advanced topics in neuropsychological assessment following sport-related concussion. Brain injury, 29(2), 263-275.
- Kontos, A. P., Deitrick, J. M., Collins, M. W., & Mucha, A. (2017). Review of vestibular and oculomotor screening and concussion rehabilitation. Journal of athletic training, 52(3), 256-261.
- Lal, A., Kolakowsky-Hayner, S., Ghajar, J., Vazquez, O., & Balamane, M. (2017). A systematic review and meta-analysis on the role of exercise or rest in patients with concussion and mild traumatic brain injury. Br J Sports Med, 51(11), A83-A83.
- Makdissi, M., Cantu, R. C., Johnston, K. M., McCrory, P., & Meeuwisse, W. H. (2013). The difficult concussion patient: what is the best approach to investigation and management of persistent (> 10 days) postconcussive symptoms?. Br J Sports Med, 47(5), 308-313.
- Makdissi, M., Schneider, K. J., Feddermann-Demont, N., Guskiewicz, K. M., Hinds, S., Leddy, J. J., ... & Johnston, K. M. (2017). Approach to investigation and treatment of persistent symptoms following sport-related concussion: a systematic review. Br J Sports Med, bjsports-2016.
- Matuszak, J. M., McVige, J., McPherson, J., Willer, B., & Leddy, J. (2016). A Practical Concussion physical examination toolbox: evidence-based physical examination for concussion. Sports health, 8(3), 260-269.
- McCrory, P., Meeuwisse, W., Dvorak, J., Aubry, M., Bailes, J., Broglio, S., ... & Davis, G. A. (2017). Consensus statement on concussion in sport—the 5th international conference on concussion in sport held in Berlin, October 2016. Br J Sports Med, bjsports-2017.
- Murray, N., Salvatore, A., Powell, D., & Reed-Jones, R. (2014). Reliability and validity evidence of multiple balance assessments in athletes with a concussion. Journal of athletic training, 49(4), 540-549.
- Schneider, K. J., Leddy, J. J., Guskiewicz, K. M., Seifert, T., McCrea, M., Silverberg, N. D., ... & Makdissi, M. (2017). Rest and treatment/rehabilitation following sport-related concussion: a systematic review. Br J Sports Med, bjsports-2016.
- Sharp, D. J., & Jenkins, P. O. (2015). Concussion is confusing us all. Practical neurology, 15(3), 172-186.
- Silverberg, N. D., Hallam, B. J., Rose, A., Underwood, H., Whitfield, K., Thornton, A. E., & Whittal, M. L. (2013). Cognitive-behavioral prevention of postconcussion syndrome in at-risk patients: a pilot randomized controlled trial. The Journal of head trauma rehabilitation, 28(4), 313-322
- Sufrinko, A. M., Marchetti, G. F., Cohen, P. E., Elbin, R. J., Re, V., & Kontos, A. P. (2017). Using Acute Performance on a Comprehensive Neurocognitive, Vestibular, and Ocular Motor Assessment Battery to Predict Recovery Duration After Sport-Related Concussions. The American journal of sports medicine, 45(5), 1187-1194.
- Ventura, R. E., Balcer, L. J., & Galetta, S. L. (2015, October). The concussion toolbox: the role of vision in the assessment of concussion. In Seminars in neurology (Vol. 35, No. 05, pp. 599-606). Thieme Medical Publishers.